Acura Integra Forum - Yes it's Back! banner
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey good question, definitely driving a new Integra at the moment, and loving every minute of it! It's an A-Spec with Tech Package and the 6-speed manual in Liquid Carbon on Red! My personal favorite combo! :love:
Would love to see pics of it!
Are you documenting your experience with it on any of the major social media networks?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Hi Jonathon, thank you for taking the time to be here! I’ve really enjoyed your presentation style, and am looking forward to checking out the new Integra in person, it seems like a great fit for me. I have two questions:

I’ve been driving for half my life, but never learned how to drive a manual transmission. Given the glowing reviews of the manual I’ve seen, it has me interested. Do you think the Integra would be a good vehicle to learn on?

On a personal note, I read that you’re fluent in Japanese and have spent time in the country, which makes sense given Honda and Acura’s roots. What’s your favorite thing about the country and culture? Thank you!
Glad to hear you’re interested in the new Integra! To answer your question about learning to drive manual, I think Integra would be an excellent car to learn on. I say this because the shifter, clutch and pedal placement is perfect! Also, having things like the Rev Match function, Hill Hold & Brake Hold will make daily-driving the manual a breeze. I‘d say definitely consider taking it for a test drive first and make the decision that best suites you.

As for Japan, yes, I lived there for several years and can fluently speak and read Japanese. Ironically, this was all prior to working for Acura, but it definitely helps with the job now. My favorite thing about the culture is the people, who are always so kind, helping and polite!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Thx for getting back to us. I have another one that all the gear heads can get behind...

Any plans to take the new Integra racing (considering the car has a long history of racing with RealTime Racing)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great question! As the lead product planner for Acura cars, I was responsible for the initial product proposals including the business case and overall concept for the new Integra. I certainly can't take full credit, as there were many people involved in the process.

From day one, we set out to develop a car that embodied the "Spirit of Integra". So it was less resurrecting the name, and more about creating a product that was deserving of the Integra badge (embossed or otherwise) in every way.
I can't thank you enough (and the rest of the team at Acura)!!

Always wanted to see 'Integra' on the back of a new Acura especially as other automakers have come out with affordable and fun vehicles. On that note, while the Integra is in the luxury class, did you consider potential cross-shoppers with non-preium models like mike a Mazda3 or GTI?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Hi @Jonathon_Rivers
Thanks so much for doing this for the Honda/Acura enthusiast community! The enthusiasm from this community is really one of the things that sets Acura apart from other brands.

My questions are just more about process and trade-offs, because I understand that with product planning, new cars won't be built unless the numbers pencil, so here goes:

1) I loved the drive of the new Integra, especially the ride and handling, but for me, it lacked the extra power I'm hoping for in what will likely be my last ICE car. I currently have a 2017 Mazda 3, and am cross-shopping the Integra with the new Turbo Mazda 3, and that car has serious push. I wonder if some of the lack of initial surge off the line can be related to the CVT? Did the engineers evaluate mating the 1.5L engine with the 8-speed DCT from the ILX? That combo exists for a Chinese market small Acura SUV (CDX?), so I know the engineering has happened, but guessing the fuel economy would suffer or the DCT would require a hire price point? The ILX also feels more responsive to me than the Integra.

2) The interior is beautiful, but I noticed the back seat doorcard materials were not the same as the front. It looks to be the same door panel as the Civic, and all hard touch. Is there any chance that may get upgraded for a future model or in a MMC?

3) Was any testing done on the gorgeous Orchid interior to see how the white microsuede will hold up to blue jeans? Is it easy to maintain/wash?

Thanks again!
It definitely sounds like you did your homework! Just as you mentioned, there are always trade-offs and hard decisions that must be made when doing product planning.

1.) The new Integra has great performance and the true driver’s car is the 6MT as it has the limited slip differential, rev match function and comes with the adaptive suspension. The CVT is a great alternative to the 6MT for those that prefer to have automatic shifting (or don’t know how to drive MT) as well as those that want the best fuel economy. As for the DCT that you mentioned, that transmission was actually phased out of production and therefore wasn’t an option for Integra.

2.) The Interior is amazing and the touch points are appropriate given it’s price point and positioning.

3.) Our engineers always do “blue jean transfer” testing and work to ensure that it’s easy to clean and maintain no matter the interior color choice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I can't thank you enough (and the rest of the team at Acura)!!

Always wanted to see 'Integra' on the back of a new Acura especially as other automakers have come out with affordable and fun vehicles. On that note, while the Integra is in the luxury class, did you consider potential cross-shoppers with non-preium models like mike a Mazda3 or GTI?
From a planning perspective, we focused specifically on the Audi A3, Mercedes CLA/A220 and BMW 228i GC. In terms of cross shops, you’re absolutely right, we expect Integra buyers to consider a number of different options including the GTI and Mazda3.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don’t expect you’ll be able to reveal the powertrain for the Integra Type-S, but I hope the manual take rate means it will be offered for the Type-S.
Are you able to speak to where it will be positioned (in performance and/or price) relative to the Civic Type-R?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
With the A3, CLA, A220, and 228i Gran Coupe as benchmark vehicles what specific things were you looking for when comparing the Integra to them?

Also, during the development process are these cars on site to test with the Integra? Or is just on paper comparisons?
We pretty much evaluate every detail of the competitive set, which includes styling, packaging, features, technology, pricing and performance. And of course, we do actually drive and check these things out on actual vehicles…there’s just some things a website or .PPT can’t convey. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I have a couple more questions about the Integra's interior.

How many memory settings are on the driver's seat? Odds are multiple people are going to be driving it in my household.
Is the head's up display on the actual window or does it project onto something else before the window?
With the Technology package it comes with 2 memory settings for seat positions, plus it has the auto-adjust upon exiting the car (which can be disabled). As for the Heads Up Display, it’s a high-quality 5.3“ display that projects onto the windshield and can display a variety of information.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts