Acura Integra Forum - Yes it's Back! banner

Just test-drove the A-Spec with Tech and…

8K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  SDinRI 
#1 ·
…I cancelled my order.

/ducks

This is a huge disappointment for me as I have been excited to get the Integra. I was one of the first 500 to order and had picked out a place for window tinting/ceramic coating/debadging, got an insurance quote, downloaded the paperwork for a private sale of my car, read the instruction manual and figured out what products were needed to maintain the car.

But I didn't love it.

The handling, acceleration, steering, appearance (except for that rear lip spoiler [on certain colors]) were all good to great. Those overhead speakers seem to be just for show. I'm 5'8" and my head was touching the headliner in the back seat. My problem, I guess, is that I like my car and have, I guess, more "fun with luxury" expectations than this car delivers.

I quote Joey Capparella's review from Car and Driver: "Such are the perils of high expectations."

Now I have to reconcile with my 2014 Mazda3 who may never forgive me.

I will miss this board and its informative communications.

-VBinNV

See less See more
#2 ·
…I cancelled my order.

/ducks

This is a huge disappointment for me as I have been excited to get the Integra. I was one of the first 500 to order and had picked out a place for window tinting/ceramic coating/debadging, got an insurance quote, downloaded the paperwork for a private sale of my car, read the instruction manual and figured out what products were needed to maintain the car.

But I didn't love it.

The handling, acceleration, steering, appearance (except for that rear lip spoiler [on certain colors]) were all good to great. Those overhead speakers seem to be just for show. I'm 5'8" and my head was touching the headliner in the back seat. My problem, I guess, is that I like my car and have, I guess, more "fun with luxury" expectations than this car delivers.

I quote Joey Capparella's review from Car and Driver: "Such are the perils of high expectations."

-VBinNV
Sorry to hear, but glad you figured it out before pulling the trigger. The Mazda 3s are great - I bought an auto one to replace my VW even though I wanted stick because it was such fun to drive. Good luck!

#3 ·
…I cancelled my order.

/ducks

But I didn't love it.

-VBinNV
Interesting...I'm sorry it didn't meet your expectations. I'm actually considering replacing my 2017 Mazda 3 hatch with an Integra, and my 3 is a lot of fun to drive. I've even auto crossed it, and it held up really well and has very neutral handling (unlike most front drivers, it's not an understeer mess, and you can kick the tail out a little bit while the stability control saves your butt).

Was the Integra lacking fun, or was it lacking luxury? I want a considerable improvement in road noise, and the new Mazda 3 delivers that, but apparently there are mixed views on whether the Integra has too much road noise or not.

#4 ·
Interesting...I'm sorry it didn't meet your expectations.

Was the Integra lacking fun, or was it lacking luxury? I want a considerable improvement in road noise
YMMV, but road noise was one issue. It doesn't quite feel like a "luxury brand." At its price it's fun to drive, but not "Sports Car Fun." The Integra comes in as advertised but not exactly (for me) as hoped.

Set up a test-drive then drive your car on the same route.

#5 ·
…I cancelled my order.

/ducks

But I didn't love it.

-VBinNV
I hear you. I liked it but didn't love it. I'm still considering the WRX, an ugly, less sophisticated, more fun car to drive. I'm also kind of sort of still considering the GR86/BRZ, but those are so impractical and so much work to get in and out of for my 6'5" body, I'm just not sure. That's why I think I like the WRX--it's a four-door sports car at the same price (or less) than the Integra. But nowhere near as sophisticated inside, nor good gas mileage. Still, I'm hoping to drive it again soon(ish) to compare now that I've driven the Integra. Then I'll decide for sure. My Integra is due the 28th or so (already built, just waiting for transit).

#10 ·
Bummed for you in terms of the let down, but I fully respect the choice — gotta go with your gut. Are you thinking about replacing the 3 with a newer one? I know they are availability with a manual, but not the turbo…

Regardless of what you decide, I hope you end up with something that is right for you, and in the meantime, keep enjoying the Mazda!

#11 ·
I am and have been in the same boat as you and many are. I canceled two pre-orders and my third one is being built this week (allegedly). I go in Sunday for the demo test drive. My kid has a 22 Civic EXL HB so I am frustrated to be stuck with the same infotainment (they only have a non tech for me allocated). I plan on going in fully expecting a compact honda wrapped in a luxury coat (minus that 7" screen) but I'm 60/40 leaning on keeping it.

The problem for me is a "if not this, then what"? There aren't many decent options in the mid 30's that offer honda reliability that still present a slight sense of luxury. My last car was a BWM '22 228i GC which creature comforts were second only to my porsches' but it's $38.500 after my discounts. thats $43K after TTL and Fees.

While I enjoyed the bmw, it was NOT engaging and felt like driving was second to the tech. I had a '21 MB A220 (I love luxury entry level cars lol) and it was FUN to drive in sport but I for some reason didn't enjoy "being in a mercedes"

I think as a daily driver it'll work for a while while I wait for the EV Macan in early 2024 and this will be my last ICE car.
It helps that's its the smaller 12gl tank as well as comes with 2 years of maintenance.

I will be looking at $39,900 out the door for a A Spec non tech and really can't find another car in that price range that I think I would enjoy driving. The videos showing the integra post 2-3K RPM's give's me hope that once broken in, it'll be a funny little car to throw around the corners. I guess we will see. If it doesn't I will cancel my order and continue sharing cars LOL

#12 ·
This is disappointing. I was really looking forward to the Integra with the tease, but the prototype reveal kept me away. 1.5L???? I ended up buying an Alfa Romeo Giulia. Glad I did. She's beautiful. Just wish it was a manual transmission. But at 0-60 in 5.1 seconds, I'll live with it.

#15 ·
Just to follow up, I wound up snagging a dealer allocated CVT w/ Tech package Friday night. From my experience driving both trims, I really believe if you just want a fancy civic SI with a peppier engine, buy the cheapest base acura integra. You can mod it out and still have a ton of features. The middle trim is a cash grab by Acura. The CVT A spec package isn't worth the 2K from the base. BUT the tech package is Phenomenal and I would push anyone into it.
The Screen is great and the features work well. The ELS is a REALLY good sound system (best I can compare is to a Porsche bose system) and the individual mode alone is worth it since you get the dampers.

I'm extremely pleased with the car and look forward to enjoying it for years to come as my last ICE car.

#16 ·
Just to follow up, I wound up snagging a dealer allocated CVT w/ Tech package Friday night. From my experience driving both trims, I really believe if you just want a fancy civic SI with a peppier engine, buy the cheapest base acura integra. You can mod it out and still have a ton of features. The middle trim is a cash grab by Acura. The CVT A spec package isn't worth the 2K from the base. BUT the tech package is Phenomenal and I would push anyone into it.
The Screen is great and the features work well. The ELS is a REALLY good sound system (best I can compare is to a Porsche bose system) and the individual mode alone is worth it since you get the dampers.

I'm extremely pleased with the car and look forward to enjoying it for years to come as my last ICE car.
Congrats! I agree the A-spec packaged itself is worth at best $1K and is a margin grab for Acura...but the tech package has a hell of a lot of equipment and is well worth the $3k.

#18 ·
As easy as it might be to dunk on the Giulia's reliability track record, I will admit that if Acura is taking aim at other luxury automakers with the Integra, comparing all of those cars you mentioned isn't all that far-fetched. If you wanted a really fast, sporty car... well, the Integra might not provide the "really fast" part (thought that's also a big part of why folks are looking forward to/holiding out for a Type-S).

Bottom line, the Giulia is going to be quicker than the Integra, along with many others on the list. Initially, when you say "I bought a Giulia" it seems kind of crazy, as my mind went to a higher-spec example with a twin-turbo V6 (the same way someone might hear "Integra" and immediately think "Type R"). But at that base price, it's more expensive than the Integra, sure, but not out of line with the CLA 250, 2-Series Gran Coupé, or the A3.

Now, all of those examples that the Integra intends to take aim at are FWD. There's a bit of apples-to-oranges here in terms of cross-shopping, as the Giulia, 3-Series, and 2-Series (unless you were comparing it to the Gran Coupé) are all RWD, which can certainly up the fun factor. The additional 80 horsepower doesn't hurt, either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.