Acura Integra Forum - Yes it's Back! banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, although, I’m probably not the world’s worst driver when it comes to operating a manual transmission, I’m only human, and I can admit that over the course of ~1800 miles that I’ve stalled the car a handful of times at an intersection or what have you. The thing is, the last car I had with her stick shift was a 2008 Honda Fit, which had a key.

Obviously, stalling your car at an intersection with people behind you isn’t great. I know that the way you’re supposed to restart the car is to push the clutch all the way back in, and the car should start right back up automatically. Unfortunately, this is only worked for me a time or two; usually when this happens, I end up pumping the clutch a couple of times to no effect, and then when I push the stop start button, it fully shuts down as if I’m parking the car, which isn’t ideal.

Luckily, this isn’t an everyday occurrence, but I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this problem with the 6MT, or if I might be doing something wrong when this happens. Any advice? (I also tend to drive the car with the auto stop-start switched off, if that has an effect on anything.)

· Registered
139 Posts
I know that the way you’re supposed to restart the car is to push the clutch all the way back in, and the car should start right back up automatically. Unfortunately, this is only worked for me a time or two; usually when this happens, I end up pumping the clutch a couple of times to no effect, and then when I push the stop start button, it fully shuts down as if I’m parking the car, which isn’t ideal.

(I also tend to drive the car with the auto stop-start switched off, if that has an effect on anything.)
If it's anything like my experience, I think it's possible that you've truly stalled the car fewer times than you think--when auto stop-start is on (hate that it's the default), I've encountered a few occasions where, for example, I'm 2nd in line for a left turn, I'm creeping ahead thinking I might be able to make the left turn along with the person ahead of me (think of any occasion where there's a lot of back and forth between clutch and gas)... well every now and then, I think I'm ready to make that turn and the car will turn off/be off even though it hadn't turned off during my previous creep ups. When this happens, I immediately scold myself for stalling, because it feels pretty much identical, but I've found that the car is in Neutral (habit). When this happens, I've found pressing the clutch and putting the car in gear will restart the car, but I'm always tempted to press the Start button.

I believe if you truly stall the car, you'll hit the Start button to re-start, otherwise it's clutch, gear, and boom.

Auto stop-start is a real nuisance.

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That could explain some instances, though I do usually deactivate auto start-stop out of habit. Not a fan of it either.

Perhaps I reflexively put it in neutral — maybe the trick to a clutch-in restart is having it in gear?

· Registered
2023 Integra 6MT
13 Posts
Hey man, stalling is all part of (re)learning stick and good on ya for getting the manual integra! I was always under the impression that you needed the brake pedal pressed down with the clutch engaged to restart the engine so if you stall out and it won't start back right away, make sure both are pressed down.

When it comes to not stalling at an intersection, try giving the car a bit more throttle before you think to start. You may find you're over gassing it a bit so the car lurches forward, but over time, you'll be able to get a better feel for it and you won't stall from a dig nearly as much.

The integra is very forgiving when starting from a dig so it won't take much to get it moving. Just remember to release clutch smoothly/slowly and apply throttle the same way. I find the clutch bite point is around halfway from pedal being fully up.

Hope that helps a bit and have fun driving!

· Registered
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Tech PWP; 2019 RDX Advance; 2013 Ford C-Max Energi
99 Posts
I have experienced this a few times too, but not enough to be an annoyance. I'm actually used to auto stop/start and leave it engaged, usually.
I DON'T think you need the foot brake on to start the car. I usually set the parking brake when parking, so I clutch in to start, shift to neutral, and then brake in to release the parking brake; and the car will roll when I release the foot brake.
My stalls are usually due to insufficient throttle/revs. I've only had about 4 MT cars, and I've done this with all of them at times. My 6MT BMW also had push-button start, and I messed up the restart cycle a couple of times.
Just keep driving, it'll get better!

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My stalls are usually due to insufficient throttle/revs.
Same -- it's almost always because I'm feathering the gas when I should've given it a bit more oomph. (Anecdotally, it happens much less often when I'm driving in normal mode vs. comfort.) It's much more rare at this point as I get things more dialed in, though it always seems to happen at the worst possible times, haha.

Appreciate the encouragement y'all! Aside from the occasional stop & go traffic jam on the highway, the manual is a joy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts