Acura Integra Forum - Yes it's Back! banner

Space Saver Spare Tire kit

20K views 56 replies 14 participants last post by  Imperial 
#1 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hubcap

...looking to go on a road trip soon, but would like to have a little assurance re: a potential sidewall puncture that the included tire repair kit cant handle, without roadside assistance.
This kit seems affordable, but is, I believe lacking a spare tire hold-down screw assembly to keep the spare tire firmly secured. Modern Spare has a kit also, for more $. Thoughts....?

See less See more
#3 ·
A part of me almost wishes I’d seen this site before pulling the trigger on Modern Spare- barring any customer service issues, this is a solid alternative. It’s essentially the OE spare kit with better quality tools

The hold down bolt is surprisingly simple to find online. It seems most Honda/Acura vehicles share the same part

As for the spacing issue in the absence of the foam inserts, a forum member posted their solution with the Modern Spare tire, and it’ll probably work with this kit too

#4 ·
Looks like Value Spare and Modern Spare are the same company. The jack and tools pictured are the same, the websites have the same layout (just different fonts/colors). They're hosted on the same server and they have the same return address. See TERMS AND CONDITIONS / RETURN POLICY/ FITMENT GUARANTEE - Value Spare and TERMS AND CONDITIONS / RETURN POLICY.

I think that's good news. Like the OP here I just want something so I don't get stranded waiting hours for roadside assistance when repair kit doesn't cut it. VS doesn't make the same vague claim about "longer range driving" and the wheel doesn't look as nice. But when I need a spare, I don't give a damn what it looks like. So I think I may go with the VS and try to find the hold down bolt. Thanks for posting!

#5 · (Edited)
This is good news- it did feel like I was looking at similar sites

I don’t get my Modern Spare delivered until later today, but they apparently supply a hold down bolt…even though there are fitment issues lol but I wouldn’t be surprised if Value Spare came with one too

Based on the illustrations used in the Integra manual, the part number for the OE wing bolt is: 74652-SDA-003 Again, this is purely based on the similar illustration I see in our Integra manuals and doesn’t guarantee fitment EDIT: also, the part number doesn’t include the spacer adapter required for use (the round, flat plastic/metal part that’s labeled “temporary tire” on one side and “normal tire” when flipped over) if you’re buying online, make sure you’re purchasing both pieces

#8 ·
Fyi - I called tire rack, got a scratch and dent 17" rim that is the oem size with a tire. $150 plus a similar jack from Amazon to what modern spare uses. Total of $200 out the door. The tire makes a small bump in the floor.....it protrudes about 1.5" but gives me a full size spare and exact circumference match. With the rubber all weather cargo floor cover, you can't even tell. Not a bad second option.

#18 ·
I tried ordering the kit from alldiscountparts.com and figured I’d just take it to a local tire shop to get a tire mounted. The order went into PROCESSING pretty quick and I was excited, but now I got an email saying it’s back ordered (duh). So if it shows up in the next couple months that’s fine with me. If not I’ll go for the value spare maybe.

#24 ·
I bought an accord wheel and tire from the scrap yard from a 2021- never used for 75.00.
i also bought a civic jack kit from a 2020 for 50.00. The place that i bought the spare from also threw in the hold down wing nut.
The accord wheel fit and spun freely, but there is very little clearance from the brake caliper, when i mounted on the front.

#27 ·
As an option - I called tire rack and bought a scratch and dent 17" rim that matches the OEM rim on the base model. Put a basic all season tire on there and I have a full size spare vs. a donut for $175. Only issue is the rim sits about an 1.5" higher than the floor in back when you drop the tire in the well. I have the all weather mat for the cargo area that covers the entire floor, and to be honest, you don't notice it. Bought a $40 jack kit on Amazon (very similar to what you get with modern spare) and I have a full size spare with no restrictions. This is another option if you can deal with the floor being raised ever so slightly.

#29 ·
I am not sure what the problem is with the spare tire kits. I went to my dealer, Bernardi Acura of Boston, just over a week ago and they were able to order everything in the kit, if not the kit itself. Nothing was on the shelf at the dealer but everything arrived within four days. I did not order the wheel and tire because I already had these from Modern Spare. The only fussy part of installation was having to trim some thickness from the three pads on the foam insert where they touch the hub of the spare wheel. I had to trim 6 to 8 mm to have the foam insert sit flush around its perimeter.
Road surface Asphalt Font Tar Concrete
Road surface Asphalt Tar Font Sidewalk

#30 ·
I have a theory-

I Googled part numbers 06421-3S5-A00 and 06421-3S5-A10 a while back. In a lot of these drop-shop websites, there’s a footnote on some of these sites saying the tire is not included in the kit

Honda/Acura seem to be selling the kit without the tire now, which explains your quick turnaround

#35 ·
I had no instructions for placing these pads but the most obvious place, to my thinking, was the three projections on the underside of the tray where they contact the tire. The pads are not foam, they are a solid neoprene-like rubber sheet about 3 mm thick with adhesive backing. I thought they needed to be a bit thicker to support the tray on the Modern Spare wheel and tire so I cut each in half and doubled them up to be about 6 mm thick at each of the three locations.

#36 ·
I gave up on trying to get the kit and contacted alldiscountparts.com with the list of parts and asked what was actually in stock. I've ordered from them in the past (I assume all these parts websites are the same, using the same honda warehouses, and just charge different part and shipping prices). Anyways, they said everything but the jack was in-stock.

I ordered the wheel (42700-TX4-A51), foam (84545-3S5-A10), the bolt (74652-SDA-003), anchor (74650-T1W-A01) and 3 spacers (74685-TBA-A00) online. Since the jack (89310-S5A-013) is common to many hondas and acuras I just went to eBay and found one from a 2022 Civic Sedan in its foam tray with the tools - they seem to go for $140 or so. You can probably find this jack cheaper.

Once the wheel comes in I'll take it to a local tire shop and get a tire mounted on it. Didn't think there was much point in ordering a tire online and paying shipping when I'll have to take it somewhere to get it mounted anyways.

The foam is still stupid expensive. MSRP is $122, online it's $85-$90. I was tempted to order 84545-3S5-A00 instead since they have the same description and $30 seemed more reasonable for a piece of foam, but that's actually the foam block that we already have - the one that holds the inflator kit.

I would have saved money getting the modern spare (or value spare), but I wanted this to sit flush in the compartment, so $85 foam and OEM parts it is.

#38 ·
sure. The order for the wheel, 3x spacers, bolt/anchor and foam was $299.45. $53 of that was shipping 😮
Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
42700-TX4-A51​
Wheel, Spare​
$91.12​
1​
$91.12​
74650-T1W-A01​
Anchor, Spare Tire​
$9.11​
1​
$9.11​
74652-SDA-003-ACURA​
Bolt, Spare Tire​
$4.56​
1​
$4.56​
74685-TBA-A00​
Spacer Tire Pan​
$18.33​
3​
$54.99​
84545-3S5-A10​
Box Trunk Tool​
$84.11​
1​
$84.11​

Subtotal: $243.89​
Estimated Shipping via EconomyShipping: $53.31​
Handling: $2.25​
Total: $299.45​

The jack and other tools was $137 from some junker on eBay, free shipping. CIVIC 2022 Jack 2279039 | eBay

so I’m in for about $450 so far and still need a tire. I’ll be sure to post if/when any of this comes in.

#43 ·
My order for wheel, foam, anchor and bolt was delivered a few minutes ago. The spacers are still on order so they weren't included in this shipment. Due to the size and fragility of the foam, they packed it upright in a very large box covered it with "Fragile" stickers, and padded with small cardboard boxes and bubble wrap. Seems to have survived the trip.

For the donut tire, I thought that would be the easy last step. I found a T125/80R17 99M at Discount Tire and figured I'd just order it online for a local store and bring my wheel in to get it mounted. Their website wouldn't let me order it (since it doesn't match the wheel size for the car, and it wouldn't let me order without entering a car), so I called my local store. They said the tire is backordered (getting sick of that word), but they found another store (in GA) that had 1 and would FedEx it to my store (in NC). So that's supposed to be there Thursday. Tire is $125, plus tax and installation is $162.

Rectangle Wood Office equipment Font Space

Glove Road surface Asphalt Headgear Font

#44 ·
Got my spare tire mounted and I'll test it on the car this weekend. The spacers (74685-TBA-A00) haven't shipped, so I just asked to cancel that. Doesn't seem necessary and I think ordering 3 was a mistake.

So here's the whole list. I took off the spacers and the Spare Tire Bolt. The anchor part includes the bolt so no need to order it separately.

SourcePart NumberPart NamePrice
All Discount Parts42700-TX4-A51Wheel, Spare$91.12
All Discount Parts74650-T1W-A01Anchor, Spare Tire$9.11
All Discount Parts84545-3S5-A10Box Trunk Tool$84.11
All Discount PartsShipping$53.31
eBay89310-S5A-013 (Jack)
89211-S05-003 (Wrench)
89320-S2G-003 (Bar)
17675-TG7-A01 (Funnel)
Civic 2022 Jack$145.18
Discount Tire89843Continental Scontact
T 125 /80 R17 99M T BSW MB
$162.85
Total$545.68

If I had to do it again and the kit's still not available, I'd probably skip the box trunk tool. It's an $85 piece of styrofoam. Instead I could just make a pad out of several layers of cardboard to support the trunk floor. I've got plenty of cardboard from this order. I'll post some pictures of that later. The rest of it I'm happy with. Of course if the kit's available, that should save about $200.

#51 ·
Hi all, When I entered my 2024 Acura Integra and searched for 06421-3S5-A10, all of the "oem acura parts" websites reported that 06421-3S5-A10 is not compatible with my car. I then found 06421-3S5-A00 which did indicate as "fits your car". On the 06421-3S5-A10 the title says "temporary kit(A-Spec) and 06421-3S5-A00, just says temporary kit. Anyone here purchased 06421-3S5-A00 temporary kit?