Acura Integra Forum - Yes it's Back! banner

Why did Honda and Acura under rate the HP on the civic SI and the Integra?

911 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  nate8088
I hesitated and hummed and hawed for quite some time bewteen the Integra and the Cicic SI 11th get, but settled soon the SI (the specs in Canada make it a much harder choice...)

I just got delivery of my new SI and I'm now patiently working my way through the break-in period. As many of you know, Hondata have thrown the stock 11th gen SI up on a dyno and measured 222-25 whp, which is a large chunk more than the official specs published by Honda. I assume the Integra has the same discrepancy between the published and measurable horsepower given it shares the drivetrain with the SI, but I haven't seen any specific data.

So I've been wondering, why rate a car 5hp LESS than the previous generation (the SI), when it is in reality close to 25hp MORE than that generation?

My original theory was that they needed to rate the Integra at 200hp to make a large enough gap between the A-spec model and the forthcoming Type S, and that, consequently, the SI needed to be rated at 200hp to match, on paper, the specs of the Integra. I figured the Type S would come in around 240-50hp, or maybe 275, and that releasing the Integra at 225hp would not create enough of a difference to justify the price hike.

But as we now know, the Type S will be rated at 320hp, 5hp MORE than the Civic type R... It seems to me that had they released the Civic SI with an official 220/225hp spec, a 100hp gap to the Type S would more than ensure that the Type S would appeal to a different demographic and not split as many people between the SI/Integra and the type R/Type S.

So... what gives? Why under-rate the SI by so much, or by anything at all for that matter? Is there some kind of 200hp threshold in the industry, above which a company is penalized (thinking emissions, or governmental regulations...)?

Any theories...?
See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
I’ve wondered about this too and don’t have a great answer. Hondata found 234whp on the stock integra on their dyno, so yes, a similar underrating. I can’t think of a good reason why.

I mean, maybe they want to focus more on other strengths of their cars than HP and 0-60, but people compare numbers when shopping so it seems like you should put your best foot forward.

I’d also like to know what kind of 0-60 time these cars could do with a 2nd gear that made it to 60, or a DCT. To me, the high 0-60 times seem more like Honda trying to push buyers up to Type R and Type S than underrating the HP.
Reactions: 1
I wouldnt worry too much on exact dyno figures to be honest. Theyre just numbers and the one that Hondata uses (Dynapak) always generally read higher compared to other dynos.

What I have noticed is that from all the dyno videos online that test the stock SI and stock Integra, the Integra always had a +5~8hp gain over the SI. Even though theyre both rated at 200hp.

Some reviewers have stated that during the launch, Acura said there were some minor calibrations done on the Integra tuning. So maybe that was it? Not a lot noticeable. But just enough to move the extra weight around.
Reactions: 2
My only hypothesis was they knew the new car wasn’t any faster in a straight line (at least for the oft-cited 0-60) so they didn’t want to advertise more power in a car that’s no faster.

Like @chotaku says, I wouldn’t go off these specific numbers. Dynos are meant to tune and compare mods, and there’s all kinds of variables and assumptions put in to the calibration. I’m not even sure 234 at the wheels is correct. That would be ~260 at the crank and this feels nowhere that powerful.
Reactions: 1
My only hypothesis was they knew the new car wasn’t any faster in a straight line (at least for the oft-cited 0-60) so they didn’t want to advertise more power in a car that’s no faster.
I think your username says it all. Driving a slow car fast is best. I had some of the best driving experiences of my life in my 1980 toyota celica... drifting that 80 HP rear wheel drive thing around corners. :) It wasn't fast, but it was a hell of a lot of fun. Fast only matters on a track. Fun is something you can have all the time.
Reactions: 2
1 - 5 of 5 Posts